Re: [K12OSN] OT: ldap only checks first 8 characters of password

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 08:52:50PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 08:45:28PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> > My openldap users only need to correctly enter the first 8 digits of their password in order to be authenticated.  My local users need to enter more than that (I didn't check for a limit, but it's more than 8).  Does anybody know how to change this behavior?
> >
> Hmm, I just realized this only occurs after I use the 'passwd' utility to change my ldap password.  The change seems to work, but with the 8-character limitation I mentioned above.
>
> Note that I'm not using the smbldap-installer setup on this particular ldap server.  There is no samba component at all.

I don't believe it.  I figured out the answer 5 minutes after posting the question (and I had been looking for the answer for hours).

It was as simple as putting this in /etc/pam_ldap.conf:

pam_password md5

(The previous value was:  pam_password crypt)

Hope this helps someone.  The system in question is a Debian Lenny machine.

-Rob