[K12OSN] Very frustrating!

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Sat Jan 31 03:11:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:33:38PM -0500, Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2009/1/31 Rob Owens <rowens at ptd.net>:
> >
> > I do not remember the modle but one of the HP printers in past needed
> > me to give a command line initialization string every time it was
> > started and that could only be done at the server. Is your printer
> > also similar?
>

> Yes this printer is similar to that.  You can see that on this page
> describing how it works in Linux
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1000
>
> "The firmware of the printer must be uploaded after turning it on. You
> can use a hotplug/udev script which comes with foo2zjs, or do it
> manually: "cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1000.dl >
> /dev/usb/lp0". "

Try running that command on the thin client itself.  You'll need in lts.conf:

SCREEN_02 = shell

This will let you hit ctrl-alt-f2 on the thin client and get a shell.  You'll need to put the sihp1000.dl file in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware on the server, so it will be available to the thin client.  (That directory will need to be created).  Then run that command and see if it works.

This printer seems to be different than the HP 1020 which worked for me...

-Rob