[K12OSN] K12LTSP Chrooted Environment Misunderstanding

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Thu Jul 2 15:44:47 UTC 2009

Hello Peter,

> What Todd wrote is correct.  In K12LTSP, access to the chroot
> environment on the client is via Ctrl-Alt-F1, but must first be enabled
> in the lst.conf file via the 'SCREEN02 = shell' parameter.  In the
> lts.conf file there is a parameter listed for enabling support for local
> apps, but it doesn't really work.  It was put there at the time more as
> a place holder for the future.  The reason LTSP 4.2, on which K12LTSP
> was based, doesn't have a full chrooted environment is that the idea
> hadn't yet come to full fruition at the time.  If you need local apps,
> use K12Linux/LTSP5.

Thanks for your reply! By "K12Linux/LTSP5" do you mean the Fedora 10 version with LTSP5 or do you mean the Centos5/RHEL5 with LTSP5?
Either way, how would I force the terminal clients to use an application that is in the chrooted environment?

I am trying to get voice communication between the server and the TCs, and am currently experimenting with Sjphone for its
simplicity. The problem is that when I start Sjphone from one of the TCs, it is actually running on the server so I can not
establish communication. That is, if I dial one of the TC IPs from the server, I am just looping back on myself. I am not sure, but
I figure if Sjphone is running from the TC chrooted environment, I should be able to connect to that instantiation via IP from the
server.

Regards,
Murrah

> Peter
>
> Todd O'Bryan wrote:
>> The system in the chroot environment is very basic--it's just enough
>> stuff to get the terminal up and running. Once the terminal is running
>> a basic OS, it connects to the server and acts as a remote X session.
>> When you log in on the terminal, you're logging onto the server, not
>> the chroot environment that's running on the terminal. The idea is
>> that a terminal that can only run basic stuff gets the full power of a
>> much nicer server, because everything really runs on the server. The
>> terminal is just a way of viewing the server processes.
>>
>> There is a way to get to the chroot environment that's running on the
>> terminal--if I remember correctly, Ctrl-Alt-F1 will display a console
>> that really is running on the terminal. But you'd only use that to
>> debug problems, not as a normal operating mode.
>>
>> Todd
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM, murrah
>> boswell<otrcomm at isp-systems.net> wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I know everyone is busy and excited about Fedora 11 K12Linux, but I am
>>> attached to the K12LTSP system and have a couple of questions. I know
>>> these
>>> are questions out of antiquity for some people who have been with
>>> K12LTSP
>>> from the beginning, but please humor me here.
>>>
>>> I must have a misunderstanding about the /opt/ltsp/i386 chrooted
>>> environment
>>> apparently. From a client terminal, when I right click on the desktop