[K12OSN] The ltsp-client doesn't have a default gateway!

Odin Nøsen odin at gnuskole.no
Tue Jul 7 09:57:09 UTC 2009

It seems that I need to describe my problem with more details. I'm no beginner to LTSP -
I've installed every version of K12LTSP since 2002 and hacked my way to a system with a
central dhcp-server, a dedicated firewall, 6 subnets, 3 fileservers, dedicated
backupserver and 380 thin clients etc. Today I'm running all the TS's on K12Linux F11
x86_64 (with i386 TCs).

My problem is that alle the TCs are missing a default GW. "route" on a TC (with IP
10.0.4.63) give this output:

 bash-4.0# route
 Kernel IP routing table
 Destination    Gateway   Genmask       Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
 10.0.4.0       *         255.255.255.0 U     0      0     0 eth0

I can't ping anything that's not in the 10.0.4.0/24-network - simply because the TC
doesn't know where to send the ping-packet. If I add a default GW (route add default gw
10.0.4.1), then everything works (of course).

When the TC boots the PXE-client get all the correct information from the dhcp-server
(IP, netmask, default gw...) but the TC don't set up a default gw when it sets up a
network connection. It did in F9 and F10, but not in F11.

This isn't a problem until I try to run localapps that need to talk to network outside
the 10.0.4.0/24-network. The single NIC TS (10.0.4.10) is in the same subnet as the TC
(10.0.4.63), so everything works when I run the TC as a thin client. But, Firefox
doesn't work as a localapp in my setup, because it doesn't reach the firewall at
10.0.255.1 because the TC doesn't know that network traffic to 10.0.255.1 should be
sendt to 10.0.4.1 (the switch that routes/gw all the subnets).

Can someone plz fix this in the TC for F11?

Odin