[K12OSN] Local i386 apps on an X86_64 server?

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jul 8 19:14:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM, C. Duncan Hudson<ltsp at dunc-it.com> wrote:
> Dan Young wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM, C. Duncan Hudson<ltsp at dunc-it.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I have LTSP 5 installed on an existing Fedora 10 server - the server is
>>> an
>>> X86_64 machine, and the clients are all i386.  Everything is working
>>> fine,
>>> but I'd like to run local apps, but I'm having no luck.  I've rebuilt the
>>> image, chrooted into /opt/ltsp/i386.  But when I try to yum install just
>>> about anything I get conflicts between the installed x86_64 packages and
>>> the
>>> corresponding i386 packages.  Is there an easy way to get around this?
>>>

>> Did you "setarch i386" when you chroot into /opt/ltsp/i386? I.e.:
>>
>> setarch i386 chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
>> yum install foo
>>

> No, I didn't realize that I had to do that - thanks.  So now, after
> doing the setarch, I no longer get the complaining about the 64 bit
> packages.  But I also find no packages are available.  Is this simply a
> matter of adding the 386 repository to my yum.repos.d directory?  Thanks
> again,

At some point in the past, you also had to "mount /proc" when you jump
into the chroot. May want to try that.

You'll probably want to confirm that networking is functioning on the
terminal. Can you "host www.google.com", etc?

Here's someone's walkthrough of installing apps into the chroot:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2009-April/msg00042.html

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services