[K12OSN] scripting guru's, quotas challenge

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Sat Jul 4 20:03:53 UTC 2009

Barry R Cisna wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Can someone think of a script that can be placed into the default home
> folders for all users that would set their /home folder quota? In other
> words so I do not have to manually enter each user's disk quota on the
> file server. Yes, I Am lazy!
> I may be missing something but the only way the group quota can be
> enforced is for the cumulative members in a given group. It seems this
> should be able to be more granular ,but I haven't figured it out if this
> is possible? Trying to think of some way to make this 'scriptable' so
> the process is less labor intensive Yeah! and less error prone. (that
> would be Moui),,:)
>
> Take Care,
> Barry Cisna

Do you users already exist ?

What I've done is create a template "ideal_student" that I use the line
/usr/sbin/edquota -p $idealquota $uname in the bulk user script to setup
the quotas

If you're users already exist it shouldn't be too hard read the existing
users from a file & run the edquota command.

Brian