Re: [K12OSN] Lock down proxy settings and home page

Sorry might be too late on this one but thought I'd added this anyway :-)

We use CCK Wizard (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2553)

it allows you to create a plugin that sets loads of things like proxy & hoepage & then install it as a global plugin so it's installed for all users.

Brian

Michael Paric wrote:
The proxy, home page and other preferences are saved in the file:

/home/<user_name>/.mozilla/firefox/<id_number>/prefs.js

What we did at our high school was to create a master prefs.js file in the /etc/skel/ directory that was only writable by root (but readable by all). Then if we needed to update the preferences (change proxy server, home page, etc.) we ran this simple shell script called prefsupdate.sh as root:

#/bin/bash
cd /home
for user in `ls -d *`
do
DEST=`ls /home/$user/.mozilla/firefox/*/prefs.js`
echo $DEST
cp --preserve=mode /etc/skel/prefs.js $DEST
done

Automatically updated everyone's Firefox preferences (including proxy settings) but since it was not writable by user, it effectively locked them out of changing it. Not automatic when adding new users but simple and quick enough to run when you did.

Hope it helps!
Michael Paric
Computer Business Solutions
707-317-6710