[K12OSN] The ltsp-client doesn't have a default gateway!

Odin Nøsen odin at gnuskole.no
Tue Jul 7 12:37:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:20:13 -0500, Barry Cisna wrote
> Odin,
>
> >From what you had listed in your last post it appears the TC is , in
> fact getting the correct 'gw/route'.
>  bash-4.0# route
>  Kernel IP routing table
>  Destination    Gateway   Genmask       Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
>  10.0.4.0       *         255.255.255.0 U     0      0     0 eth0
> The 'Destination 10.0.4.0' bit shows this. This is evidently what you have
> entered as the default router,in your dhcp server. I don't know why this

But, as I said, I add a default gw in the TC everything works:

 bash-4.0# route add default gw 10.0.4.1
 bash-4.0# route
 Kernel IP routing table
 Destination    Gateway   Genmask       Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
 10.0.4.0       *         255.255.255.0 U     0      0     0 eth0
 default        10.0.4.1  0.0.0.0       UG    0      0     0 eth0

> worked correctly for you in previous,,F9 F10? The dhcp server can not provide
> any more routing beyond this. Have you tried doing a static route on the k12
> server to your firewall router. AKA: route 10.0.255.1 -(from 10.0.4.0), ( on

My servers find the firewall without problem (because they have a default gw) - so I
don't need a static route directly to the firewall (it had anyway needed to go through
the switch that routes the traffic between the subnets).

> with your firewall router. Possibly being your firewall router is a
> conical type router?

My "router" is a HP ProCurve 2824 that has routing between the 6 subnets.

> If you can not ping the actual firewall router/internet access router
> either your k12 server OR the firewall router needs a static route to
> connect each other.

>From the server I can ping everything, but on the thin client I can only ping machines
that lies within the netmask (10.0.4.0/24).

Odin