[K12OSN] getting local firefox to resolve

I've enabled localapps, installed firefox, turned on nat in iptables and
enabled ipv4 forwardi ng in/etc/sysctl.conf

but no joy in getting firefox (or even ping) to resolve locally on the
thin client.

I'm running k12linux (f11).

Any ideas or obvious places to look? I've checked the usual wikis,
google, etc. and spent much more time on this than I should have. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
William Fragakis