[K12OSN] Local CD/DVD and USB Drive Problems From Terminal

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Tue Jun 2 02:47:40 UTC 2009

murrah boswell wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> Peter Scheie wrote:
>> Access to local CD drives on the client does not support music CDs.
>> They are a different format than data CDs.
>
> Okay, thanks for the info! Is there any way to support music CDs?

No.  See my original reply.

> Also, I did get the USB access working from the terminal, however, there
> is strange behavior. If I plug a USB stick in on the server, it shows up
> on my testing terminal desktop also. But if I just mount one from the
> terminal it does not appear on the server desktop.
>
> I do not want a USB stick mounted at the server to appear at the
> terminal(s)? Is this configurable, and if so, how?

 From a conversation I had with one of the devs on #ltsp:

"Install perl-suid
then create a script in /etc/ltspfs/mounter.d (you may have to create that
directory) on the application server
and a script called fixperm inside it, containing:

#!/usr/bin/perl
if ( $ARGV[0] eq 'add' ) {
	$ENV{'PATH'} = '/bin:/usr/bin';
	$user=getpwuid($<);
	system "chown", "$user.root","/media/$user";
}

then you have to set permission 4755 on that script
so that the script is setuid root as the script is run as the user and it
wouldn't normally have the right to change the permission on that directory
if all goes well, the directory in /media/ will change to $user.root when
something is plugged and will then only appear on the user's desktop."

I haven't tried this myself yet; YMMV.

HTH
Peter