[K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jun 3 14:47:52 UTC 2009

Jeff Siddall wrote:

> My view on this is that the image should contain _all_ commonly used
> applications.  With large (8 GB+) USB sticks now available for dirt
> cheap there is no strong argument for a crippled K12Linux ISO.
>
> To add to what others have already requested, I'll throw KDE into the
> mix.  IMO it's gotten to be the best desktop -- easier to learn, and
> more "wow" than Gnome -- both good for doing demos.  It doesn't have to
> be the default desktop, just there for anyone who wants to use it.
>
> You asked someone to compile a list.  Here's what people have requested
> so far:
>
> OO.o
> Thunderbird
> Firefox
> Tuxpaint
> ChildsPlay
> KDE
> VNC (server+client if they are not there already -- I don't remember)

I have to wonder about KDE.  If you're talking about KDE 3.5.x, then
I'll heartily agree with you.  But KDE 4.x still isn't really done
baking yet (give it another year, I'd say, and it'll be great).
Remember, it's typically the teachers and their administrators that have
to approve K12LTSP/K12Linux's introduction into a school.  It doesn't do
good to have a 3/4-baked desktop environment when you're doing demos for
decision makers.

--TP