[K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Jun 3 15:22:05 UTC 2009

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:

> Jeff Siddall wrote:
>>
>> My view on this is that the image should contain _all_ commonly used
>> applications.  With large (8 GB+) USB sticks now available for dirt
>> cheap there is no strong argument for a crippled K12Linux ISO.
>>
>> To add to what others have already requested, I'll throw KDE into the
>> mix.  IMO it's gotten to be the best desktop -- easier to learn, and
>> more "wow" than Gnome -- both good for doing demos.  It doesn't have to
>> be the default desktop, just there for anyone who wants to use it.
>>
>> You asked someone to compile a list.  Here's what people have requested
>> so far:
>>
>> OO.o
>> Thunderbird
>> Firefox
>> Tuxpaint
>> ChildsPlay
>> KDE
>> VNC (server+client if they are not there already -- I don't remember)
>>

> I have to wonder about KDE.  If you're talking about KDE 3.5.x, then
> I'll heartily agree with you.  But KDE 4.x still isn't really done
> baking yet (give it another year, I'd say, and it'll be great).
> Remember, it's typically the teachers and their administrators that have
> to approve K12LTSP/K12Linux's introduction into a school.  It doesn't do
> good to have a 3/4-baked desktop environment when you're doing demos for
> decision makers.

Nope, I'm talking about KDE 4.2+  KDE has improved enormously from the
atrocious 4.0 release.  It's still not perfect, but I have been using it
as my only desktop for months and it is plenty usable.

Again, I am not saying it should be the default desktop, just that it
should be there.

Now that I think of it there is no good reason not to add XFCE to the
list also.  Choice is good.

Jeff