[K12OSN] Custom kernel for thin clients

Patrick Fleming k12ltsp at rwcinc.net
Mon Jun 22 23:29:44 UTC 2009

Barry,

The NIC seems to be working with my custom kernel and I changed the name
of the file to C0A80108 (which by the way is kinda cool - I just created
the MAC file based upon what scrolled across my screen) and I get to the
same point. Some google searching leads me to believe that I can't just
copy stuff into the initrd and repack it. There is an email written by
Warren on the devel list that indicates a script to create a "proper"
initrd for thin clients. It seems that I'm almoooost there. The only
thing I'm changing is the /lib/modules/<version> directory, at least
that's all I believe that I am changing. I'm no expert but I do have a
little familiarity with compiling kernels and using mkinitrd and even
packing up and initrd directory structure using cpio and gzip - which is
why this is bugging me so much.

BTW, I did try the pxe kernel and initrd from the EL5 dvd images/pxeboot
directory and got to the blue and red install screen so I think that I'm
just stuck on initrd not mounting and not trying to mount NFS.

Patrick