[K12OSN] K12LTSP Chrooted Environment Misunderstanding

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Tue Jun 30 01:40:53 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I know everyone is busy and excited about Fedora 11 K12Linux, but I am attached to the K12LTSP system and have a couple of
questions. I know these are questions out of antiquity for some people who have been with K12LTSP from the beginning, but please
humor me here.

I must have a misunderstanding about the /opt/ltsp/i386 chrooted environment apparently. From a client terminal, when I right click
on the desktop and select to Create Launcher, Browse for Command and select File System, why is it that the client terminal has full
visibility of the server file system and not just the chrooted environment? Same is true of a Terminal window; I have total
visibility of the server file system.

Is there a reason why the K12LTSP isn't truly a chrooted environment?

Along the same questioning, how do I install an application, such as linphone, in the chrooted environment and force the client to
use "local" instantiation of linphone and not allow them to even see the server based instantiation of linphone?

Regards,
Murrah Boswell