[K12OSN] Re: Lock down proxy settings and home page

We didn't use XULRunner (but did use Firefox 3), and I'm suspecting it may be overriding any personal profile changes. Is XULRunner necessary for your deployment?

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 16:43:39 -0700
From: murrah boswell <otrcomm isp-systems net>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Lock down proxy settings and home page
To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
	<k12osn redhat com>

Hello Michael,

Michael Paric wrote:
The proxy,  home page and other preferences are saved in the file:

/home/<user_name>/.mozilla/firefox/<id_number>/prefs.js

I am testing with K12Linux 5EL that uses Firefox 3 running on top of xulrunner. I tried to modify a test account prefs.js file but Firefox didn't pay any attention to the changes. I just tried to lock the browser.startup.homepage setting with:

lockPref("browser.startup.page", 1);
lockPref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.google.com/";);

and it had no impact.

Under K12LTSP 5, I can lock Firefox 2 down tighter than a drum, but Firefox 3 is another animal. What version of Firefox are you using?

Thanks,
Murrah Boswell