Re: [K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
Warren Togami wrote:
Hey folks,

Fedora 11 is soon to be released. Sometime after that I will spin a new K12Linux Live Server ISO image.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/ltsp/k12linux/f11/beta1/
Currently the beta is under 1GB in size. Would folks prefer that the image include OpenOffice and educational apps? The image would likely be around 1.5GB in that case.

Please reply here with a list of packages already in Fedora that you would like to be included in the image. Around mid-June I will spin up a release candidate for folks here to test.

(It seems we shouldn't include Tuxtyping, Tuxmath and Tuxpaint because they are impossible to use over the network right?)

* Can somebody volunteer to take charge of compiling the list?

* http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join
If a package you want is not already in Fedora, then you need to follow the procedure to become a Fedora packager and add the package yourself.

* No, we cannot include any packages not included in Fedora.

* I am thinking to make the K12Linux F11 Live Server ISO x86-64 only as this is the majority of deployments. 32bit clients are supported by the 64bit server. 32bit servers are still possible if you install K12Linux on top of the standard Fedora 11.

OpenOffice.org is an absolute must, because of all the MS Office files that teachers sling around. Remember that one of the big selling points of GNU/Linux distros is that "it already comes with office." This really can't be considered negotiable any more than the kernel can...if it's to be taken seriously in a North American K-12 environment.

As for the educational apps, some should be included, e. g. ChildsPlay. After all, there's gotta be something "K12" for "K12Linux" to demo. :-)

--TP