[K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Jun 3 14:13:03 UTC 2009

Warren Togami wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Fedora 11 is soon to be released.  Sometime after that I will spin a new
> K12Linux Live Server ISO image.
>
> http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/ltsp/k12linux/f11/beta1/
> Currently the beta is under 1GB in size.  Would folks prefer that the
> image include OpenOffice and educational apps?  The image would likely
> be around 1.5GB in that case.
>
> Please reply here with a list of packages already in Fedora that you
> would like to be included in the image.  Around mid-June I will spin up
> a release candidate for folks here to test.
>
> (It seems we shouldn't include Tuxtyping, Tuxmath and Tuxpaint because
> they are impossible to use over the network right?)
>
> * Can somebody volunteer to take charge of compiling the list?
>
> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join
> If a package you want is not already in Fedora, then you need to follow
> the procedure to become a Fedora packager and add the package yourself.
>
> * No, we cannot include any packages not included in Fedora.
>
> * I am thinking to make the K12Linux F11 Live Server ISO x86-64 only as
> this is the majority of deployments.  32bit clients are supported by the
> 64bit server.  32bit servers are still possible if you install K12Linux
> on top of the standard Fedora 11.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

My view on this is that the image should contain _all_ commonly used
applications.  With large (8 GB+) USB sticks now available for dirt
cheap there is no strong argument for a crippled K12Linux ISO.

To add to what others have already requested, I'll throw KDE into the
mix.  IMO it's gotten to be the best desktop -- easier to learn, and
more "wow" than Gnome -- both good for doing demos.  It doesn't have to
be the default desktop, just there for anyone who wants to use it.

You asked someone to compile a list.  Here's what people have requested
so far:

OO.o
Thunderbird
Firefox
Tuxpaint
ChildsPlay
KDE
VNC (server+client if they are not there already -- I don't remember)

Jeff