[K12OSN] Urgent help needed catching up- Angry & Frustrated Users!

Informatik (Christian Ostheimer) informatik at steinerschule-basel.ch
Wed Jun 3 16:35:47 UTC 2009

Am 03.06.2009 um 16:54 schrieb Anthony Luscre <mo_luscre at mogadore.net>:

> Our district has been running three LTSP labs with 20 to 30 client
> each since way back in the version 3 days, six years ago.
>
> Recently I have updated all three servers and OS for all three.
> Currently we are running Fedora 10 with LTSP-5. Each server is a a
> quad core xenon with 7 to 13 gigs of RAM.
> We are still using our original client terminals - Compaq iPAQ
> Desktop Computers- 500MHz PIII with 64  to 128 RAM with hard drive
> removed.
>
> This year we have been experiencing a number of issues with varying
> frequencies:
> 1. Failure of whole lab to be able to log on simultaneously
> 2. FireFox slow or constantly freezing
> 3. OpenOffice slow or freezing
> 4. Failure of client terminals to get boot from server if restarted
> after...
Did you disable ssh tunneling (lts.conf LDM_DIRECTX=True)?
My lab 20 clients, p2 350MHz, but RAM 192MB runs fine (with an older
version of ltsp5, no local apps); per 10 (100MbpS) clients one gigabit
uplink in the switch.

Disabling ssh gives speed, >=128MB RAM avoids firefox freezes on the
client. - Only flash videos and games are slow in firefox (p4 clients
+ local apps would help; but only 256MB RAM might be a problem).

Christian