[K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Alberto Castillo proyecto.edulin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:22:01 UTC 2009

I agree with Terrel!
In my experience in this 5 years of implementation of schools with no
resources in SUDAMERICA, we get any machine for thin client!
For this reason and because, and we no are the exception! like us
other geverments of entire Argentinian Territory have thousand and
thounsands of 486 with 4MB or 8MB and Pentium1 with 16MB ram max, we
are decide build a micro distro that runs any of theese machines from
4 MB to up! using a vnc-client and a mini-kernel and a mini rootfs,
all send via tftp and nfs to the clients.
We are use a lot of 32 bit P4 server with only 1 or 2 GB RAM!
The 80% of schools that I implement do no have internet, and 90% of
schools I implement have i486 machines!
The teachers tell me that they need use some aplications that they
receive from lots of educational capacitations and all are .exe! and
the rest are .swf!, foir that wine and flash for us is GOOD!
The SOLUTION of no internet conection is: WIKIPEDIA OFFLINE.
We have install the wikipedia spanish in all servers and the childrens
can navigate trought that! is cool!
I think lot time that create a spin of fedora with NO OPENOFFICE, but
yes GNOME OFFICE, a web client more light that firefox, wine, some
apps propietary like flash adobe, we will still use wikipedia and too
a lot of applications that the goverment ask to use in the schools for
ARGENTINA.
Too I think will include the microsystem that runs 486 with 4MB ram,
but I think in use a patch kernel like the CentOs k12, and use of
course LTSP 4.2.* because I do no like the performance of fedora 10
with my VNC clients in compare with CentOs k12 ltsp that are a marvel
like runs my i486 clients! they boot in near 30 seconds with centosk12
and looks very well! sorry for fedora, I love fedora, but today for us
centosk12 still are the solution.
Maybe some day I will build a spin of fedora for olds clients and servers.
Sorry for my bad english and for my personal apreciations.
>From Argentina
Alberto Castillo
Thank you for read me!
Alberto Castillo