Re: [K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Warren Togami wrote:
On 06/04/2009 04:44 PM, Dan Young wrote:

A compilation of suggestions to date is here:
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/LiveServer/F11CandidateApps

# FreeNX client, server (0.3M)

Does this actually work? In my experience it is horribly buggy and broken software. Also it has zero integration with LTSP.

I haven't used exactly that version, but for the ones I have, the server is fairly usable and doesn't hurt anything to have enabled because it won't start unless a client initiates a session via ssh. The most useful way to use it is install the no-cost NX client from www.nomachine.com on windows or macs and use them _in addition to_ the ltsp thin clients, or use it for remote access or administration. It's basically a remote X that is very bandwidth and latency efficient. You probably wouldn't want to use it for a large number of clients because of the server-side overhead but it is great to have it available for situations where you can't (or don't want to) boot as a thin client or you want to be able to shift a long-running session around, like picking up your desktop from home.

And personally, I like the cut/paste between the session and native apps on the NX client side.

There might be a security issue to be aware of if you use the default NX client key, though. The last time I checked (long ago...) you could establish a passwordless ssh session as the nx user with that key. You couldn't do anything directly with that login, but you could do ssh port-forwarding that might be able to reach services or other systems that you expect to be firewalled. Also, there is probably a bug that is fixed in the ubuntu version where you can't get a shadow session of the physical console. I can track that fix down if anyone needs it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com