[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

TWO PROBLEMS SOLVED: Re: [K12OSN] Fresh install K12LTSP 5EL questions



Hello Barry,

sounds like you are kind of struggling with your k12ltsp server. try
reinstalling using the graphical installer. it kinda sounds like you may
be shooting yourself in the foot ,right off of the bat. do you have
standard pci nics installed on your server? if so they should be setup
without any probs. what puzzles me is why you have to set your dhcp and
nfs server to start at boot. this should be done automatically without
user intervention. also make sure your iptables , and iptables6 are
shutoff at boot time after you do the initial install. do NOT do an yum
update at least for a while. make sure you get a couple tc's booting
properly. to be honest i never update anything unless someone wants
something added to the server and i see updates may be needed for the
additions being made. i go by the old saying let a sleeping dog
lie:).,,or if it aint broke don't fix it. i figure by the time i want to
do all kinda updating ,i'll do a fresh install of the latest greatest
build of what is new on the market! have you ever gotten sound on any of
the tcs you have available?
let us know your progress.

A fresh reinstall using the graphical method worked to get he system setup where dhcp and nfs were properly configured and running at initial boot. I shut off iptables and ip6tables at initial configuration. My test TC did boot properly without any tweaking, however, errors are still being raised about not being able to locate the maestro3 module. After some digging around, I discovered the rc.sound script. I realized that the line:

SMODULE=`echo $SMODULE | sed s/[.]o$//g`

would never locate my modules since they are type .ko modules. I changed this line to:

SMODULE=`echo $SMODULE | sed s/[.]ko$//g`

Now I can find the maestro3 module at TC boot and I see that the TC is acceptng connections on port 16001 finally. However, now I am getting the "/dev/dsp: file or directory not found" error, so I guess esd is not getting properly loaded.

I am going to see what tweaks will get me beyond this error tonight.

I set SCREEN_02  = shell in lts.conf for my TC entry, switched into shell mode.

lsmod shows:

snd_maestro3  0
...
snd           snd_maestro3,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore     snd


but I still get error that /dev/dsp does not exist on the TC. /bin/esdplay /etc/silent.wav raises error that /dev/dsp file or directory not found.

So I revisted Peter Scheie's comment of 6.2.2009 and again downloaded LTSP-esd-alsa_1.0.0-2.tgz

wget http://softlayer.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/symbiont/LTSP-esd-alsa_1.0.0-2.tgz

and ran the install program and changed the new rc.sound to sed on .ko and rebooted my TC.

That did the trick, I now have sound on my DELL Latitude C600.

The previous time I downloaded LTSP-esd-alsa that Peter recommended, I didn't know to change the sed in rc.sound, but this time it worked perfectly. Thanks Peter for the link! And thank you Barry for all your continued attention to my problem.


BTW, I agree with your position on updates. Normally I never update except for glibc\* and kernel\* and disable yum-updatesd, but I wanted to see if a full update would correct the maestro3 module problem. Now I know the maestro3 problem was unrelated to versions of apps at initial install so I will not do a full yum update again.


Regards,
Murrah Boswell


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]