[K12OSN] FOSS desktop apps recommended for teaching middle school

hi,

I am part of an effort to increase the use of FOSS in a local public middle school.  We have an LDAP lab running Xubuntu across 30 client machines.  We also have a few stand alone machines running various flavors of Linux, but mostly Xubuntu.

Could someone please recommend good teaching apps for English language arts classes; for 8th grade biology; and for 7th and 8th grade social studies?  It would be primo if these apps are known to conform to California educational requirements.

Thanks!