[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Graham Lauder graham at theingots.org.nz
Mon Mar 2 11:18:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:49:59 David Hopkins wrote:
> Rob, and everyone else that has responded.

Hi David,

> Thanks for vote of confidence on this.  I've read all the responses
> and I'll try to address them in this response.
>
> > I think your argument above is very valid, and it should probably be your
> > primary argument to the administration.  "I don't want to spend money on
> > Macs for a video lab, because I'm afraid we'll end up spending money on
> > Macs in areas where they're not needed".
>
> Yep ... biggest concern.  The discussion about 10% usage for
> video/audio is also valid but I learned some more details as well.
> There are some new state level standards (Web 2.0)  that dictate that
> students will learn video/audio packages (not sure why, it really
> feels like the 'must learn MS Office debate a decade ago and the must
> learn DBase approach I saw before that in Florida).  So, have to have
> the capability, somehow.

Stick with Linux fat clients and use Rosegarden / Audacity for sound and
Cinelerra / Avidemux / Kino for video and remind the teacher that Lord of the
Rings and everything produced by Weta Studios is/was done on Linux.

>  IF (and it is a big IF) I can get buy-in to
> make this a very restricted special case scenario the lab could
> approach.  That requires that there is a line drawn though. Now, the
> teacher has already added that she'll want all the packages on the
> thin clients on the Macs but ... she doesn't want OpenOffice on the
> Macs because 'it doesn't work right'.  Instead she wants a different
> package. And we need to order the Type-to-Learn package for the Macs
> as well.  So, the 'usage creep' has already started and the lab isn't
> even ordered. *SIGH ...

She is obviously referring to the old X11 port of OOo, she might need to be
brought up to date with the 3.0.1 Mac port.  That was after all the major
point of 3.0.