[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Ryan Collins mr.rcollins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 13:15:14 UTC 2009

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
>> I agree completely with this and think it would be a very good
>> direction to go. I can understand why the teacher wants to have Macs
>> for a multimedia course. It's very difficult if not impossible to
>> compete against Garageband, iMovie, Keynote, and iPhoto with OSS
>> solutions.
>
> Then let that teacher pay for part of it somehow.  Say, maybe a 10% cut
> in either her pay or (more likely) some pet program of hers?  Let's see
> just how important those expensive Macs are to her.

I think we're losing sight of our job in supporting technology in the
school. It's my job to provide my students with the most opportunities.
The best tool for the job.

I'm a major proponent of OSS in our district, with over 100 thin
clients, so don't think I'm bashing LTSP or OSS (why would I be a member
of this list for over 3 or 4 years if I didn't), but I also know where
OSS doesn't cut it.

> Those who think that OSS has a problem "competing" against Apple's
> proprietary offerings might want to speak with Paul Nelson more about
> that.  He's an actual classroom teacher in Riverdale School District in
> the Portland, OR area and one of the earliest adopters of K12LTSP.  He
> might be able to shed some light for you.

You can't honestly say that Audacity is a better tool for students than
Garageband? Kino/Cinelerra to iMovie? I want my students to be able to
produce.

I have the utmost respectfor Paul Nelson and Eric Harrison. Without
them, I wouldn't be running LTSP. Their work has been integral to us
re-purposing old machines as useful clients.

>> Someone else said in this thread, the best tool for the job. That's
>> why I support OS X, Linux, and Windows.
>
> Microsoft Windows is a tool whose only use is vendor lock-in.  That's
> why I no longer support Microsoft Windows.

And once the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a
nail. We are all fighting the fight, but we shouldn't let ideologies
hinder out students.

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools

Blog: http://ryancollins.org/wp/