[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:26:49 UTC 2009

>> You can't honestly say that Audacity is a better tool for students than
>> Garageband? Kino/Cinelerra to iMovie? I want my students to be able to
>> produce.
>>
> I'm not sure if it matters which is better.  I've heard so many of us say "teach concepts, not software" when it comes to office applications, and I
> think the same should apply here.
>
> David, you should try running Audacity on the thin clients like this:  esddsp audacity

It is difficult to compete with Garageband and the rest.  I have run
audacity (centos5.2) and while the sound works, the microphone
doesn't.  She insists that she has to have the microphones, video
capture, apps ... yep ... take what the latest Mac can do and those
are the specs.  I see her point.  And I didn't mean to lead the list
down this path but hopefully it is proving to be a useful discussion.