[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Mon Mar 2 15:28:15 UTC 2009

I agree with the sentiments of Terrell and Almquist. Bottom line, some
of these teachers are not realistic in what they *think* they need to do
the job . If the $$  were coming out of their own pocket,I would bet
TC's would be more than adequate 99% of the time:). End of story.
Most teachers have never had to be in the *real world* private
sector,(as yours truly), were a profit has to be turned to remain
viable. They are used to the limitless Joe Taxpayer money tree being
available to dip from.
I look at this way, if you were running the company and your dollars are
being the source and someone wanted this type of setup for the demands
that are at hand, would you Ok the go ahead with this? I guess I am too
practical.
The big 'ol power gobbling Imacs they are wanting is fine for someone
working for Disney's high end production and such. These kids will never
touch the upper 75% of power that these machines would be capable of.
But I am sure David has to wrangle with not being the goat in this
episode! You have to try and 'pacify' everyone in an school scenario, I
have found.
There are more than enough applications Open Source to do the things
wanting done here and if they have patience and use realistic video
resolutions could be done on TC's ,although not nearly as quickly as an
thick client regardless of power.
Bottom line ,again. From I what I see here, I'd let whoever,is
spearheading this,do what they want and simply steer clear of any input.
In the end you'll save yourself lots of jabbing if you try and suggest
otherwise.
Just my 1 cents.

Take Care,
Barry Cisna