[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:49:46 UTC 2009

> You volunteer your time adminning the Linux boxes.  Adding this lab of Mac's
> will add a significant amount of work to you.  What I don't understand is
> why you agreed to take on that extra work.

Up until now it really hasn't been that much work, about 8 hours each
week except during the summer when it does get a little hectic.  Also,
the goal is to show that there are alternative approaches and this is
part of that effort.

>....   Just make sure to spec the quotes correctly so that they have to
> interface seamlessly with the existing servers, have the ability to netboot
> as LTSP/Win workstation, and whatever else you can think of.  I strongly
> suspect such a contract will cost many times more than the lab itself.

Not in the context of support on the Macs but the school has asked for
quotes on maintaining the overall network (what I do at the moment in
my volunteer status).  Vendors come in, see the network, learn how
much time is spent maintaining it and so far, none have even offered
the school a official quote.  Some has said that they don't maintain
Linux-based solutions.  Others have commented that their bid would
have to start at $100K.  My goal is to get the State DOE IT to finally
'buy in' and start doing this .. and that is why this Wednesday
meeting is so interesting.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins