[K12OSN] k12LTSP Documentation

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Wed Mar 4 03:08:19 UTC 2009

K12LTSP-EL5, which is LTSP 4.2 running on Centos 5, works well with older client
hardware.  It's solid, and unless your needs change, it works quite reliably.
It's age is irrelevant, and updates to the base OS are still coming out.  To
install it, just boot the server from the DVD and choose the default
installation options; you'll have a server all set to go in about 30 minutes.

However, as time passes, people often want to do more with their LTSP setups,
things like automatically detecting new sound & video chips and running
applications on the clients because they have the hardware to support this.  To
do these things, and to address a variety of other issues, LTSP 5
implementations, such as K12Linux, use the packages that come from the
distributions, and people from various distributions have gotten much more
involved in the process.  This makes it easier to update the client software so
that it can handle things like newer video chipsets found in the clients, but at
the expense of possibly not working with older hardware.  The dichotomy is this:
'Bob' has shiny new 2Ghz clients with 2GB RAM that he wants to use to handle
some of the software load so he doesn't need as hefty a server; 'Sara' has old
200mhz PIIs with 64MB but has a decent server.  The software can't really
stretch to fit with well with both scenarios.  But being FOSS, the older
version(s) will always be available to anyone who wants it. No sales rep has a
commission riding on you upgrading to the latest version. If K12LTSP EL5 works
with your hardware and does what you need, don't worry about what version it is
or how new or old it is; to do so is to buy into the marketing mania that drives
many institutions to waste money on things they don't really need.  You can,
incidently, update individual applications on the server, as some have done, for
example, with OpenOffice.org.  It's not automatic, but it can be done.  Or just
setup a separate server to host the new application, using a more modern OS.
With LTSP, it's all remote display anyway; users won't know that it's coming
from a different server.

A Centos-based K12Linux will come eventually, but because RHEL/Centos 5 don't
contain some significant necessary pieces for supporting LTSP 5, I suspect that
it won't happen until RHEL/Centos 6 are out (and I've not heard of a timetable
for that).

I still deploy K12LTSP EL5 in small offices and schools, using old PCs as
clients, and it works just fine thankyouverymuch.  The lifespan of Fedora is too
short to install K12Linux in these settings.  Stability is more important than
flashy in these cases. In other cases, K12Linux is more appropriate. I use what
fits.  Others on this list do likewise.

As for the wiki, it's a community effort, meaning people document problems and
solutions as they encounter them. There's no real coordination.  If there's
something missing that you wish were there, add it.  This is a user-based project.

BTW, for anyone having trouble getting K12Linux installed onto a USB stick,
consider unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) which will install
(almost) any ISO file onto a USB stick.

Peter