[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Mar 4 12:42:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> R. Scott Belford wrote:
>>
>> You will be in luck, David.  Your new Mac hardware is Intel based, and
>> you ought to find success with the latest K12Linux.  At the very
>> least, you will find some enthusiastic debugging support until it gets
>> there.
>
> This is not the case.  Those new Intel Macs use EFI instead of BIOS with
> PXE.  EFI netboot is a bit non-standardized, especially Apple's screwed
> version of EFI.  I'm not sure if any distribution has Apple EFI netboot
> support yet.

Yes.  You are right.  My complete oversight.  Thanks for catching it.

It's funny, because today, well, I guess yesterday and today since I
am on HST, I've been kludging around with all the variations of
clients/servers, fat and thin.  I tried using a .zlilo image in my
menu.lst grub setup on a dual-booting MacBook Pro as a way of at least
testing the concept, but the sky2 module is not available in an
etherboot/gxe image.

Kudos for the work on the K12Linux live distro.  The manual setup was
generally trivial.  Below are links to photos of an Acer 'netbook'
booting from an Asus eeepc 'server' running the K12Linux Live release
on a usb flash drive.  The first is just a picture.  The second is a
photograph of Top running on the server where the load is being
carried.  Sound and local devices work great.

http://links.hosef.org/k12linuxnetbooks

http://links.hosef.org/k12linuxserverload

> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com