[K12OSN] OT - Setting up Samba on k12ltsp for Ubuntu and XP clients?

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Thu Mar 5 01:26:27 UTC 2009

Hey,

I'm running an old server (the Fedora 6 version of k12ltsp).  I'm trying
to set up a Samba share on it that people can access equally easily from
Ubuntu 8.04 or Windows XP clients.  The Windows clients seem to work how
I want them to, but the Ubuntu clients are acting weird.  I'm going
through the "Places" menu and adding the server via "Connect to Server"
selecting "Windows Share" and typing in the IP/share name etc.  Then it
asks for the password.  When I type in the password and click OK,
sometimes it "takes" and sometimes it doesn't.  Even when it works it
pops up an error message saying that the share wasn't mounted.  But when
you go back to "Places" it's there.  Also, I have 2 shares, one of them
works as above, and seems OK once you get in.  But the other shows up,
and you can create files and folders, but then you can't edit them in
applications or save them from within applications.  Even though you
just created them.

This is for a school of mixed ages.  None of this is user friendly
enough on Ubuntu.  I thought about doing an NFS share of the same
directories.  But someone on this list a long time ago warned me against
"mixing" shares as both NFS and Samba.  He said stuff could get all
bolluxed up.

Does anyone have a "HowTo" or a good link that will walk me through a
good setup?  I've been googling and everything is assuming that I've got
an Ubuntu server serving Ubuntu and XP clients.  I've tried adapting the
suggestions in there with no luck.

Thanks,

ck