[K12OSN] K12LTSP/K12Linux 'crusaders'

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Mar 14 23:45:54 UTC 2009

What is needed is something that looks like a "sales force" front for
all Linux to "sell" into the schools.

What I have seen is schools will buy stuff (whether is works or not!)
because a sales person convinces them that they will get benefit XYZ
with the product and they will get detriment ABC without the product.
School purchasing officers understand this process. They understand
purchase means spend cash to get product. They don't understand "product
is free. buy support". Most schools have "support" in house. What that
support can provide varies all over the board and usually does NOT
include Linux :(

So the "sale force" has to sell "installed seats" while not violating
the spirit and letter of the GPL (which strictly forbids per seat
licensing of the code!) by only selling a package of installed code with
support - no exceptions. Add in a training program for existing school
admins to start getting them up to speed on Linux and it might work.

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 08:30 -0500, Barry R Cisna wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Background: Been using k12ltsp since the first version K12ltsp here.
> Has anyone else on list thought the same as me in that, " I wonder if
> k12ltsp/k12linux would be more accepted in schools if someone was out
> promoting the merits k12ltsp/k12linux"? I know something like this would
> be hard to organize with everyone doing stuff like this "out of the
> goodness of their heart". Just like everything else if there is no money
> involved no one is much interested.
> I see firsthand how schools just for the most part are a "monkey see,
> monkey do" type of atmosphere. If school A that neighbors school B buys
> all macs one year,the next year school B thinks they should be having
> macs.
> Also as I have stated many a time. The first thing that comes out of the
> mouths of the higher ups when stating that k12ltsp is free is" If it is
> free it can not be very good quality",,,or " How much longer will it be
> free".
> I know a few years ago Steve Hargedon was traveling around 'on his own'
> giving talks in regards to the advantages of k12lltsp,and haven't seen
> him on the list here for quite some time. I went to one of Steve's
> presentations when He was here in out part of the country, as a matter
> of fact and am guessing at that time, there were about 30 people that
> showed up that evening.
> Just wondered,if a good sharp 2 hour presentation by someone or a group
> of a few k12ltsp/k12linux crusaders would be of any benefit? This may be
> borderline of making k12ltsp/k12linux seem 'commercialized',though too?
> I DO know one thing with the situation that is REALLY coming on in
> regards to budgets for schools across the board I would think some of
> the money hander outers would be more apt to start focusing on something
> that has  potential for money saved.
> The only downside I would see to all of this,is that many a "network
> guy/gal" would be out of a job in time,,:-)
> Just fire up K12ltsp/k12linux server at the start of school year ,add
> users, and let er go!
> Just a thought. Easier said than done, I know.
>
> Barry Cisna

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC