[K12OSN] K12LTSP/K12Linux 'crusaders'

Mon Mar 16 15:38:19 UTC 2009

> > You can sell per seat, per user, per server or whatever other method
> you
> > want to. There is nothing in the GPL that prevents this. RedHat does
> it,
> > Novell does it. The only thing the GPL prevents is lockout - if
> someone
> > wants the source, they get the source. I hope that I'm
> misunderstanding
> > your use of "strictly forbids per seat licensing"
>
> What the GPL says is:
>
>     6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on
> the
>   Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
>   original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject
>   these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
>   restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
> herein.
>
> I'm sure RedHat has some reason to believe that their restriction
> against installing licensed copies on additional machines is legal,
> but
> I've never been to understand how they reconcile that. There is no
> distinction between binaries and source here, and no exceptions for
> how
> you impose those restrictions.  As long as they make the source
> available so projects like Centos can exist, I doubt if anyone will
> challenge them on it, though.

As I understand things, Red Hat is and has always been an ardent supporter of Free software.  While Novell seems not to understand the word "Free" the same way, they too, are bound by the terms of the GPL.  Red Hat does ~not~ restrict redistribution of their modified Linux kernel, or anything else covered by the GPL.  They do not, however, offer their original artwork or trademarks under the GPL.  You may neither modify nor redistribute those two things.  They provide documentation for stripping them out, which makes it easier to "re-spin" Red Hat into distributions like CentOS.  What Red Hat primarily sells "seats" of, is access to the Red Hat Network, which is the only supported system update methodology.  I am neither a lawyer nor a representative of Red Hat Software, just an enthusiast like you all.