[K12OSN] Perplexing Samba LDAP issue

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Thu Mar 19 16:12:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:46:57AM -0500, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Aloha
>
> I am finding myself a bit stumped at the moment by the following error
> when adding a user to a Centos 4 based samba/ldap/nfs server.
>
> [root at localhost ~]# smbldap-useradd alohak12osn
> Error: context csn exists before context prefix does at
> /usr/sbin//smbldap_tools.pm line 1187.
>
> Things had been fine until a power outage took down the server.  I had
> to do DB recovery to restore LDAP to functionality, but it now seems
> that something else is corrupted.  I've done some searching without
> luck, yet.  I am hoping that one of you have seen or been stumped by
> this before.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Just a wild guess:

I googled csn and it looks like it's a timestamp of sorts.  Is your system time/date correct?

The other thing I'd do is check ldap.conf, libnss-ldap.conf, pam_ldap.conf, and nsswitch.conf against your backups to see if they got corrupted.

What does line 1187 of smbldap_tools.pm say?  Maybe that'll give some clues.

-Rob