[K12OSN] When Free Isn’t Free: The realities of running open source in school

j.w. thomas jthomas at bittware.com
Fri Mar 20 12:45:54 UTC 2009

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> The problems that were the exception were the pre-packaged classroom
> tools near total lack of availability for the Linux environment. Sadly,
> this is an issue that will not go away until the teachers and schools
> using Linux craft their own and seed the knowledge bank by publishing
> their effort using an open source license like Creative Commons or
> similar so that other Linux-savvy schools can add to the collection.
> This problem will not be solved by the traditional textbook publisher
> crowd. We will have to do it ourselves.

Check out http://en.wikibooks.org - that's a project set up to do
exactly that.  Wikibooks is a sister of the better-known Wikipedia, and
run by the same organization (The WikiMedia Foundation) on the same
servers.

If anyone out there wants to scratch that itch, you don't have to create
your own infrastructure to do it.

Several of the books hosted there have been created as class
assignments, though these are most often at the university level.

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
The sooner you get behind, the more time you'll have to catch up