[K12OSN] fedora 10/ltsp install trouble

Accessys@smart.net accessys at smart.net
Wed Mar 25 00:53:08 UTC 2009

just a shot in the dark, but I have all sorts of problems when I had
two ethernet cards in my computer. it seems on boot up it reversed
them every time so they were never where they were being looked for.

I removed one of the cards and after that it was finding everything
where I had put it.

not sure why this was a problem (running SUSE) but maybe you have a
similar problem

Bob

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Will Hatch wrote:

> Ok, I knew something was different.  When I go to system>>administration>>network, it shows both of my ethernet cards, plus a ltspb.  This puzzled me.
>
> So you are saying I can uninstall ltsp and make a connection to the server with my DevonIT clients the way I used to?  I'm still unsure of how to get this working.  Sorry, I'm a teacher and things like this sometimes require "linux for dummies" instructions before I get it right.

> On 03/24/2009 09:00 AM, Will Hatch wrote:
> > I decided to move on from the Centos 5.1 version of k12ltsp to Fedora
> > 10.  I installed Fedora 10 on my server, which is just a beefed up
> > Dell Optiplex with two network cards.  I installed ltsp server and
> > its dependencies after the initial install was finished.  Now I am
> > stuck.
> >
> > I use DevonIT thin clients in my lab.  To create a session/connection
> > you just enter the IP address of the server you are connecting to
> > (different sessions for linux or windows ect).  My clients can't
> > connect.  I followed the network instructions at:
> > https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/NetworkSetup but with no luck.
> > I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.  Thanks for any help. -Will
>
> The NetworkSetup page describes booting your clients in a different way,
> where it gets the operating system netboot from the server.  These thin
> clients boot Fedora and login to the server via ldm.  The old K12LTSP
> used XDMCP instead of ldm.
>
> If you want to use it in the old way where it can boot from DetOS, it is
> probably using XDMCP.  You need to manually configure
> /etc/gdm/custom.conf to enable XDMCP.  This is outside the scope of
> K12Linux.  You actually don't need K12Linux at all to act as a XDMCP
> server.  Any ordinary Linux server can do it without K12Linux.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

> ***********************************
> PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you're not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.
> It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, or gender orientation in its educational programs or activities, or in its employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments, by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.

-
end
occasionally a true patriot must defend his country from its' government
safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
   ASCII Ribbon Campaign. . . . . . . . . . . . accessBob
   .NO HTML/PDF/RTF/MIME in e-mail. . . . . . . accessys at smartnospam.net
   .NO MSWord docs in e-mail . . . .. . . . . . Access Systems, engineers
   .NO attachments in e-mail, .*LINUX powered*. access is a civil right