[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 15:36:13 UTC 2009

>> Not to put too fine a point on it, but you should let the powers that be
>> know that the acquisition cost is a minor part of the TCO.  The major part
>> is in supporting the machines, keeping them running, etc.  With LTSP, you
>> mostly support one machine, the server, with a little overhead for the
>> clients.  If they get 20 Macs, make sure everyone, and I mean everyone,
>> knows the cost of supporting them will be 20 times the cost of the LTSP lab.
>>  Linux, done properly, is cheaper in the short run and MUCH cheaper in the
>> long run.
>
> TCO for 24 machines will basically be the same as a lab of thin clients,
> especially if you purchase a copy of Apple Remote Desktop. From one machine
> you can update the lab, install software, change settings, etc.

 For Linux, I can implement rdist and update servers.  For Windows it
is WSUS?  Or one of the OSS alternatives.

As I said above, this quickly degenerates into "remove all thin client
technology and replace everything with Macs".  That is part of the
agenda which is being pushed.  Once you have the lab, then you
advocate to convert the libraries (for compatibility since the student
and teachers will need to be compliant with the tech lab), then you
add the classrooms since the libary isn't always available, then for
the wireless labs, you upgrade for compatibility.  In a couple of
years, thin client tech is removed, costs have skyrocketed and going
back isn't an option.  Next would be the 3-5 year replacement cycle
which would amount to 50K-100K/yr given the current number of systems
in the school. So ... I'm just trying to really nail down the required
functionality and meet that, trying to remain OS agnostic as much as
possible.  Going from Windows to thin clients on 'upgrades' isn't that
difficult most of the time, but the Achille's heel on this is still
sound/video editing.  Even if could be done by adding a  dedicated
video/audio app server it would be worth it to avoid the slippery
slope.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins