[K12OSN] Server boots to console

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Mar 1 21:27:02 UTC 2009

Mel,

Was this a fresh install of EL5? What video chipset is on this server? I
assume you got the GUI in the install portion of EL5? If the below
suggestions do not work,by chance,pop in an old pci video card and see
if EL5 did not id the onboard video chip for some reason. Highly
unlikely,though.

Make sure your inittab has entries identical to this:

id:5:initdefault:

# System initialization.
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

# When our UPS tells us power has failed, assume we have a few minutes
# of power left.  Schedule a shutdown for 2 minutes from now.
# This does, of course, assume you have powerd installed and your
# UPS connected and working correctly.
pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting
Down"

# If power was restored before the shutdown kicked in, cancel it.
pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown
Cancelled"

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

,,this is default and I would guess you are seeing exactly the above.

,,,if so, do this in a terminal as root:

vi /etc/hosts

,,,make sure you have an entry of

127.0.0.1 <servername> <servername.domainname> localhost.localdomain
localhost

,,,at the top of hosts file.

I bet you only have an IPV6 entry here,(and not the 127.0.0.1)
Once you add the above entry reboot the server and hopefully you have a
login box showing.
Let us know what your findings are.

Take Care,
Barry Cisna