Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

David Hopkins wrote:
As I said above, this quickly degenerates into "remove all thin client
technology and replace everything with Macs".  That is part of the
agenda which is being pushed.  Once you have the lab, then you
advocate to convert the libraries (for compatibility since the student
and teachers will need to be compliant with the tech lab), then you
add the classrooms since the libary isn't always available, then for
the wireless labs, you upgrade for compatibility.

I thought this was for a video editing/multimedia lab? As long as you standardize your software around OSS, they can't use the "let's install this in the library for compatibility argument". Your student's will be working on their multimedia projects on the individual machines, not across the network (in fact, I partition the drives in our multimedia lab and the students are instructed to save their projects on the Temp partition. That way I can re-image the machines without losing any projects).

If your students are using Firefox/Openoffice.org, etc. they can run that everywhere.

You can set the Mac lab to authenticate and store the user home directories on your LTSP server.

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools

Blog: http://ryancollins.org/wp/
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Collins
n:Collins;Ryan
email;internet:mr rcollins ryancollins org
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://ryancollins.org/wp/
version:2.1
end:vcard