Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Ryan Collins wrote:
I agree completely with this and think it would be a very good direction to go. I can understand why the teacher wants to have Macs for a multimedia course. It's very difficult if not impossible to compete against Garageband, iMovie, Keynote, and iPhoto with OSS solutions.

Then let that teacher pay for part of it somehow. Say, maybe a 10% cut in either her pay or (more likely) some pet program of hers? Let's see just how important those expensive Macs are to her.

Those who think that OSS has a problem "competing" against Apple's proprietary offerings might want to speak with Paul Nelson more about that. He's an actual classroom teacher in Riverdale School District in the Portland, OR area and one of the earliest adopters of K12LTSP. He might be able to shed some light for you.

Someone else said in this thread, the best tool for the job. That's why I support OS X, Linux, and Windows.

Microsoft Windows is a tool whose only use is vendor lock-in. That's why I no longer support Microsoft Windows.

--TP