[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 04:03:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Almquist Burke <burke at thealmquists.net>wrote:

> A 20" iMac is a great machine, but I don't think it's practical for a
> school to administer a whole fleet expensive (to buy and administer) and
> powerful machines when 90% of the time they don't need that kind of power.

I am lurking this list. Just want to mention that compared even to normal
(non-thin) PC desktops, Apple has done a great job of forcing people to buy
very expensive all-new hardware every few years.

Integrating the screen with the CPU is brilliant from a marketing
perspective, because when your CPU is old and slow in just a few years but
the LCD is still nearly brand new, you still must discard the whole thing
including your huge LCD.

That integrated LCD allows them to stick another couple hundred in markup
into their sleek all-in-one design, though it is also a massive waste of
still-functional and usable display hardware. The Mac Mini is almost an
afterthought of a product since Apple can't mark it up as much as the
integrated slab.

I don't believe there is any way to "cannibalize" a five-year old Mac
all-in-one, to connect the huge high quality LCD to an external computer
that is way faster than the old Mac guts..

- Dale