Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Steven Santos wrote:
Dave,

Stick to your guns on the OO.o for the Macs, as I think that’s the big
slippery slope.
You volunteer your time adminning the Linux boxes.  Adding this lab of Mac's
will add a significant amount of work to you.  What I don't understand is
why you agreed to take on that extra work.
If I were you, I would drop a few "this is a LOT of work I am not sure I can
do on a volunteer basis... We may need to look at a support contract for all
these Macs..."

Macs - a lot of work??? I think you'll have a bit of a credibility problem with that. Expensive, yes, but...

 If you have a few quotes from Mac shops about supporting
that lab with comparable uptime to the LTSP system (is that 99.999 or
99.9999 uptime...),

You might need some spares to make that number - with either system.

I think you will find a lot more traction for your side
of things.  Just make sure to spec the quotes correctly so that they have to
interface seamlessly with the existing servers, have the ability to netboot
as LTSP/Win workstation, and whatever else you can think of.  I strongly
suspect such a contract will cost many times more than the lab itself.

If you want to use fully-loaded Macs as clients to an LTSP system, the easy way is to run the NX client with freenx on the server.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com