Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
I agree completely with this and think it would be a very good direction to go. I can understand why the teacher wants to have Macs for a multimedia course. It's very difficult if not impossible to compete against Garageband, iMovie, Keynote, and iPhoto with OSS solutions.

Then let that teacher pay for part of it somehow. Say, maybe a 10% cut in either her pay or (more likely) some pet program of hers? Let's see just how important those expensive Macs are to her.

I think we're losing sight of our job in supporting technology in the school. It's my job to provide my students with the most opportunities. The best tool for the job.

I'm a major proponent of OSS in our district, with over 100 thin clients, so don't think I'm bashing LTSP or OSS (why would I be a member of this list for over 3 or 4 years if I didn't), but I also know where OSS doesn't cut it.

Those who think that OSS has a problem "competing" against Apple's proprietary offerings might want to speak with Paul Nelson more about that. He's an actual classroom teacher in Riverdale School District in the Portland, OR area and one of the earliest adopters of K12LTSP. He might be able to shed some light for you.

You can't honestly say that Audacity is a better tool for students than Garageband? Kino/Cinelerra to iMovie? I want my students to be able to produce.

I have the utmost respectfor Paul Nelson and Eric Harrison. Without them, I wouldn't be running LTSP. Their work has been integral to us re-purposing old machines as useful clients.

Someone else said in this thread, the best tool for the job. That's why I support OS X, Linux, and Windows.

Microsoft Windows is a tool whose only use is vendor lock-in. That's why I no longer support Microsoft Windows.

And once the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. We are all fighting the fight, but we shouldn't let ideologies hinder out students.

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools

Blog: http://ryancollins.org/wp/
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Collins
n:Collins;Ryan
email;internet:mr rcollins ryancollins org
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://ryancollins.org/wp/
version:2.1
end:vcard