Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Dale Mahalko wrote:
I am lurking this list. Just want to mention that compared even to normal
(non-thin) PC desktops, Apple has done a great job of forcing people to buy
very expensive all-new hardware every few years.

Integrating the screen with the CPU is brilliant from a marketing
perspective, because when your CPU is old and slow in just a few years but
the LCD is still nearly brand new, you still must discard the whole thing
including your huge LCD.

Am I the only person on this list running Macs? The great thing about Macs is their longevity. That's why TCO of Macs are low. I've still got 10 1/2 year old Macs running (they're now thick-client terminals for a LTSP server). I have two labs of iMacs from 2000-2001 running as thin-clients.

By the time we're done with a machine, it's useless. :-)

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools

Blog: http://ryancollins.org/wp/
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Collins
n:Collins;Ryan
email;internet:mr rcollins ryancollins org
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://ryancollins.org/wp/
version:2.1
end:vcard