Re: [K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Rob Owens wrote:
Rhetorical question:  why is the English Dept. teaching their students to rely on a grammar checker?

That was my question. I've showed them that the research shows that grammar checking isn't reliable and that it has a negative effect on their teaching, but to no avail.

They've been spoiled since the Mac version of Office has a decent grammar checker (35% accuracy) versus the Windows version of Office (0%, although Word 97 did do better at 24%):
http://ryancollins.org/u/1s

BTW, here are my links about the subject:
http://delicious.com/mr.rcollins/grammar+english

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools

Blog: http://ryancollins.org/wp/
begin:vcard
fn:Ryan Collins
n:Collins;Ryan
email;internet:mr rcollins ryancollins org
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://ryancollins.org/wp/
version:2.1
end:vcard