[K12OSN] 845G intel video problem?

Howdy!

I've been running K12LTSP (v4.2) for several years now and have decided to look into upgrading to ltsp5.  System is currently Centos/ltsp4.2 and clients boot fine.
I have downloaded the k12linux live CD (x86_64) and it works great for some clients but the clients we have problems with clients with 82845G intel graphics chips.  Screen only displays the gradient blue background and the input box.  You can move the mouse around and even enter some text (sort of) in the text box but that's about it.

I tried:
changing the resolution to 800x600
setting XSERVER = intel

and a few other things but no dice.

Suggestions?

System is a paired Opteron dual core with 8GB RAM

Dan Visentin
Computer Engineering and Science, Business
Team 2200, MMRAMBOTICS.CA
M. M. Robinson High School