[K12OSN] OT: Apple Imac lab

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 04:34:16 UTC 2009

hi,

I am a level one tech support for a Xubuntu LDAP lab in San Francisco,
California.  We are documenting our work for a movie called the Digital
Tipping Point.  You can see the first teacher video from that experiment
here:

http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv593_elmer_rivera_a_2009_feb_001.ogg

http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv593_elmer_rivera_b_2009_feb_001.ogg

Based on my experience there, which is limited, as I am just the level one
tech, I would say that it is going to be a nightmare for you to pull video
across a network, even if it is an LDAP network with the apps running
locally on the clients, let alone have the apps running on the server.  The
server will take a huge hit.  Even with an LDAP setup, which sees only files
(and not apps) running across the network, you are looking at big lag times
and poor performance for those machines.

There are plenty of decent video editing apps for Linux, but I wouldn't run
any of them across a network of middle schoolers (we are a middle school).

I would just try to dual boot the machines and run the video locally.