[K12OSN] Possible to access an external MS AD ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:54:09 UTC 2009

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> I'm wondering if a Windows box inside an LTSP lan (which therefore
> would get it's IP from the LTSP server) can access (auth user) to  a
> MS AD server which is external to the LTSP lan?
>
> I think the answer is NO but I just want to verify with the list.

I think it can if the domain is a DNS domain that the LTSP server
forwards (if it is a registered public domain it should just work - if
it is local you need to configure as a secondary for that domain or
forward all DNS through it) - and your ports are mostly open on outbound
NAT.   Note that windows boxes will cache authentication so if they have
previously been on the main LAN, the same user(s) will still be able to
log in for a while, so troubleshooting can be confusing.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com