[K12OSN] OT - Setting up Samba on k12ltsp for Ubuntu and XP clients?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Mar 5 17:22:09 UTC 2009

Carl Keil wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm running an old server (the Fedora 6 version of k12ltsp).

Please upgrade to K12LTSP 5EL.  No security updates for Fedora 6 since
December 2007.  You don't want your server to get compromised.

> I'm trying to set up a Samba share on it that people can access
> equally easily from Ubuntu 8.04 or Windows XP clients.  The Windows
> clients seem to work how I want them to, but the Ubuntu clients are
> acting weird.  I'm going through the "Places" menu and adding the
> server via "Connect to Server" selecting "Windows Share" and typing in
> the IP/share name etc.  Then it asks for the password.  When I type in
> the password and click OK, sometimes it "takes" and sometimes it
> doesn't.  Even when it works it pops up an error message saying that
> the share wasn't mounted.  But when you go back to "Places" it's
> there.  Also, I have 2 shares, one of them works as above, and seems
> OK once you get in.  But the other shows up, and you can create files
> and folders, but then you can't edit them in applications or save them
> from within applications.  Even though you just created them.

Just as a test--assuming all your WORKGROUP settings are the same--try
installing Konqueror on *one* Ubuntu 8.04 machine and entering the
following URL, adjusted for your server/share:

smb://myserver/myshare

and see if that works.  That's how I access SMB shares from my Ubuntu
box at the office.

> This is for a school of mixed ages.  None of this is user friendly
> enough on Ubuntu.  I thought about doing an NFS share of the same
> directories.  But someone on this list a long time ago warned me
> against "mixing" shares as both NFS and Samba.  He said stuff could
> get all bolluxed up.

Nah, that's not a problem.  I used to do this all the time with NFS,
Samba, *and* Netatalk.  What he's probably referring to is something
called file locking.  Sure, that could be a factor if two or more folks
are trying to write to the same file, but that can be an issue in any
heterogeneous (read: not entirely MS Windows) environment.  Applying
appropriate access permissions eliminates that issue anyway.

> Does anyone have a "HowTo" or a good link that will walk me through a
> good setup?  I've been googling and everything is assuming that I've
> got an Ubuntu server serving Ubuntu and XP clients.  I've tried
> adapting the suggestions in there with no luck.

If there is one, www.howtoforge.com is the first place I'd look.
They've got distro-specific how-to's for lots of subjects.

--TP