Re: [K12OSN] Where is K12LTSP at?

Warren, could you let me know what video driver you use for the AMD Geode thin client?

Thanks

Charlie

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 21:59 -0500, Moon wrote:
Warren, I noticed you stated you have an AMD Geode thin client in your lab. What video driver are you using/specifying in the lts.conf for that client? I have a Alix1.D AMD LX800 Geode based thin client that the video doesn't work too well with K12LTSP or K12Linux, it defaults to vesa. I would like to get better video performance on both K12LTSP and K12Linux. It also has a problem with the audio on the K12LTSP due to no support for the CS5535, there is no snd_cs5535audio driver available in K12LTSP.

Thanks

Charlie

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 12:24 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
Rob Owens wrote:
> If you're looking for something longer life than Fedora / LTSP 5, you
> could try Debian Lenny or Ubuntu Hardy, both with LTSP 5.  Or you
> could stick with CentOS / LTSP 4.2.  I know there's also an OpenSuse
> implementation of LTSP 5, but I don't know much about that
> distribution or its life cycle.

http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
"K12LTSP is considered to be LEGACY software that is usable with old
hardware until CentOS5 support ends in the year 2014. If you need modern
LTSP 5.x features or modern client hardware, then you will want to use
K12Linux.org."

K12LTSP EL5 uses the ancient LTSP-4.2.  This is beneficial in that you
get security updates for the server and desktop applications on the
server until the year 2014.  Ubuntu and Debian releases do not last
nearly *that* long.

The other benefit of K12LTSP EL5 is it works with more ancient client
hardware due its ancient version of X and kernel.  This is also a
detriment though... because lots of modern client hardware will not work
at all.

K12Linux F10 has the benefit of modern LTSP5 features like sound, local
storage devices, local apps support, and modern X allows modern client
hardware to work.  The drawbacks however are:

* Modern X broke some older client hardware.  These are upstream x.org
bugs.  They will only be fixed if people take the time to file the bugs
upstream instead of just complain about them.  I personally don't have
time nor hardware to work on this.  I have a dozen different modern thin
clients of AMD Geode, VIA, Intel and Radeon chipsets and they all work
great with K12Linux.
* It needs more RAM on the client, at least 128MB to be safe.
* Support ends early 2010.

The support problem isn't too bad.  Just use K12Linux F10 until K12Linux
EL6 (RHEL6 + EPEL6) is out.  Then upgrade once into that version which
will be supported for many years thereafter.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com