[K12OSN] OT: multimedia and proxy hosts

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 04:07:52 UTC 2009

Barry,

> If I understand correctly you do not have actual access to your school's
> proxy server?  Or, have them
> whitelist the url of the site(s) you are running the videos from.
> Even at that it is possible that the proxy will make your server
> 'confused' say for instance in redirecting to another url to start the
> video clip. A workaround would be to call whoever runs it,and have
> them 'disable' this server from using the proxy,even if temporarily to
> see if this fixes your 'connecting' only problem.

It isn't the school's but the state DOE's proxy server.  The entire
education network is routed through a Blue Coat proxy system. So, they
are not going to let us bypass it under any circumstances.  They also
block streaming video/audio from various sites, so I'll have to see if
they can whitelist the NASA site.

> Also did you hard code in FF,and 'Network proxy' of server settings,the
> actual proxy ip and port number to see if you can make your videos work
> this way?

Yep, this is pretty standard since without it, no web browsing ever works.

> Sidenote: I have quite a time getting yum to work correctly with the
> proxy server we have after umpteen updates of firmware on the proxy
> server. Used to not have any probs. Even entering the proxy ip/port# as
> in many suggestions found on the net yum fails almost all the time.Have
> to bypass the proxy until this is done.

I have had to actually bring systems from the school to my home
network to run a patch when the proxy server has been patched at
times. It is why I have a dedicated firewall at home with my network
behind it.  Though normally setting http_proxy works for yum.